Thursday, May 19, 2011

Slim Skillet's Restaurant Memphis, TN

I love trying new restaurants. Since I live in the South, I am always on the lookout for good fried chicken places.

 People in Memphis might be famliar with the commercials- both of which feature the ever-present, ever cheesy Mark "It's All Good" Goodfellow. Why they chose him as a spokesperson is beyond me.

I've driven by Slim Skillet's several times on the way to or from shopping in the Wolfchase area, but for various reasons just never stopped. After my appointment today, I decided that this would be the day that I was going to try it. I went into it with a clean palate, seeing as how I hadn't eaten all day. I walked in around 2:45 PM. Besides me, there were 2 other ladies. I didn't expect a lunchtime rush that late in the afternoon. The decor is colorful, and the atmosphere is pleasant enough. The staff was sparse. I only heard 2 voices while I was waiting, one of whom was my server, Ben. I don't know if they were short handed or what, but he wore a perma-scowl on his face and seemed exasperated when I asked for individual to go conatiners for the sides.

I ordered a 2 piece mixed meal and a sweet tea. All of their dinners come with rolls, mashed potatoes, green beans, coleslaw, gravy and creamed corn. The food came rather quickly, probably within 5 minutes. I can only assume that the chicken was already pre-made and sitting under a heat lamp, a la KFC. The green beans, mashed potatoes & creamed corn had too much pepper. It tasted like the same seasonings were used on all 3. The mashed potatoes and green beans were too salty for my taste. It was rather disappointing, too, because I LOVE real mashed potatoes. The coleslaw had too much celery salt in it, which is new to me. I think it would be good on a Chicago-style dog, though. My meal came with a breast & thigh. The first bite filled my mouth with oil and juices. The skin had a nice, light crunch and was tastefully seasoned. The meat, tender. I only ate the thigh. I took the rest home. I didn't touch the rolls since I'm not a bread person. The sweet tea was perfect.

Unless they change the amount of seasoning and salt they use, I don't think I'll be returning. I ended up tossing all the vegetables when I got home. Also, they should update their website. I used it for a price reference and found out that all their prices have increased.


Slim Skillet's  http://www.slimskillets.net/

2200 N Germantown Pkwy # 1

Cordova, TN 38016-4475

(901) 384-1690

No comments: